Whether you are an individual seeking an exciting new challenge, or a company seeking top-notch talent, your interests are most assuredly kept confidential. We never present a candidate's resume without their express permission, and unless given approval by the candidate, we never contact current employers.
Please contact us at the address provided if you are a top-level, trustworthy hospitality manager or executive looking for opportunities with the finest companies in our industry worldwide. Due to our long association with the Cornell University School of Hotel Administration as a student, staff member, and volunteer, we naturally specialize in finding great opportunities for Cornell alumni and graduates of the other finest international colleges of hospitality management.
Here are all the current opportunities available through Philippus Miller III & Associates:
- Vice President of Hospitality - real estate development company - Boston, MAA Boston-based real estate development and investment firm seeks an entrepreneurial, highly motivated individual for their newly created VP Hospitality position. The ideal candidate will combine substantial operations experience with strong financial acumen and budgetary knowledge to assist the firm in their asset management and development activities. The company has completed a variety of ground-up development projects in the residential, retail, and hospitality spaces and has acquired a pipeline of future projects. The firm's hospitality development work in the Boston and Florida markets is based on a strategy of providing high-design, high-service, boutique scale projects on sites where they can build multiple phases of buildings. Their latest investment in developing a lifestyle hotel brand is a response to where they see the real estate market is headed. They believe that operational excellence and a strong brand across the asset types (residential, office, retail, hotel) will be a differentiator in their ability to source new deals and outperform when they execute them. The firm's lean team has several core competencies, including the permitting, design, construction management, financing, and investment management of real estate. They are looking to add a VP who can bring hospitality knowledge and experience in managing their existing assets, finalizing design and development of the next project (a permitted 130-140 keys in downtown Boston with extensive F&B/events programming breaking ground in the fall), and pushing forward on future opportunities. The firm hopes to bring management of hotel operations in-house in the future and extend the brand they're building to properties they don't own, so the ability to potentially oversee and build that business line is what they want and need. For now, the VP will have their hands full with third party managers and the development work. Responsibilities: reporting to the company's president, the VP will join the executive team and bring expertise to the business activities of the company, which currently include asset management, development, and ownership of real estate and land for both hospitality and other uses. The VP will have the expertise to help shape current projects and to leverage opportunities to build new relationships and brand and manage forthcoming projects. He/she should be a strategic thinker, as well as have the ability to establish credibility and direct a group towards a common vision while working in a collaborative fashion. The dynamic environment of this real estate firm requires excellent attention to detail, follow through, and the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously. Across the lifecycle of a project, the day to day can vary widely, but responsibilities will include strategic oversight of and assistance to third party management in marketing, operations, capital, and reporting responsibilities for a growing portfolio of lodging assets. Conduct property inspections and lead owner meetings with onsite management. Interact in a thoughtful and collaborative manner with the goal of enhancing asset value through product positioning, revenue maximization, cost effective operations, and guest service. Implement the detailed branding developed in conjunction with the creating the hotel asset, and assist onsite personnel in obtaining support for the production of collateral and SOPs for upholding the standards of service. Work with vendors, PR, and onsite marketing teams to pursue brand extension opportunities and partnerships. Provide the hospitality expertise to continue the firm's development work, including an expansion of offerings in Florida with a focus on membership to use the facilities, including a brand-new stand-alone events venue and garden. Provide the same assistance with planning, programming, and executing the Boston property. Assist in detailed research and leveraging of contacts to underwrite the development activities of the firm. Analyze and respond to all market, operations, and capital expenditure reporting. Develop a strategic plan to bring management of the firm's owned properties in-house over the next 2-3 years. Seek out opportunities/partner with other owners to extend the firm's services to their properties. Review and approve all budgets for hotel properties. Create capital plans and approve project budgets for both completed and under development properties. Interface with legal, finance, brokerage, construction, and consultant professionals at all levels. Bring vision, a can-do attitude, and a sincere interest in and love for the hospitality world to the office every day. Bring an optimism and a thirst for finding opportunities and making them happen. Qualifications: in this small but growing company, fit will be very important. Intelligence, vision, and passion will be highly valued. A successful candidate will have a minimum of 7-10 years of relevant experience in hotel operations and asset management. In addition, extensive and broad knowledge, experience, and contacts within the lodging industry is required. A Bachelor's or Master's degree in hotel administration, business, or similar. In addition to quantitative real estate finance skills, he/she must have excellent soft skills for working with a variety of professionals, as well as strong hospitality industry relationships and a strong network to draw on to create new opportunities. Please contact us for more information.
- General Manager - new branded lifestyle hotel - Ithaca, NYA newly built 130 room boutique lifestyle hotel in downtown Ithaca, NY is scheduled to open later this spring and is seeking an opening General Manager, who will be responsible for its efficient, profitable operation. He/she will provide a safe, clean, environment where employees provide, and guests experience, flawless customer service that is legendary throughout the industry. The property's food and beverage operations will be run by a third party. Responsibilities: reporting to the ownership firm's Regional VP of Operations, the General Manager will ensure the attainment of established budgeted goals for all departments of the hotel. He/she will exceed brand and management company standards, will supervise all capital and repair and maintenance projects, and will promote guest satisfaction in an effort to obtain repeat business. Ensure that employees are provided with the necessary structure, motivation and training to satisfy their needs and achieve organizational goals. Consistently demonstrate the company's service philosophy by identifying and seizing each opportunity to exceed guest expectations. Requirements: a Bachelor's or Master's degree in hotel administration, business, or similar. A minimum of four years of experience as a General Manager, preferably in the boutique/lifestyle sector. This will be a unique property in a unique town, and so a creative and open outlook on personality-driven hotels and service is essential. A proven track record of increasing GOP while exceeding brand and corporate goals for guest and associate satisfaction. Local market knowledge and experience is very much preferred, as this position will be a very visible and engaged one in the community. Strong communications skills and the ability to motivate and lead a team, as well as the ability to read, interpret and analyze financial reports, P&L statements, sales and marketing reports, etc. Working with Cornell Hotel School alumni. Please contact us for more information.
- General Manager - new boutique resort hotel - Finger Lakes, NYThe long-term owners of a noted lakefront resort hotel and restaurant have decided to start all over. They are building an entirely new property in a town on one of the premier Finger Lakes. The resort has been completely reimagined, with a sprawling lakeside campus, a 125 room boutique luxury hotel, 500-person events/wedding center, lakeside bar and grill, pool, full service spa program, and a fine dining restaurant, slated to be the best in the region. The new design is by an award-winning New York design firm. Construction begins in 2019 and the new property will open in the spring of 2020. We are looking for a strong preopening leader to take this concept and turn it into a great success. The owners require an experienced full-service hotel executive who will build and develop a team of inspired employees, cross-trained in multiple roles and ready to create the best possible experience for their guests. In what has traditionally been a seasonal destination resort, this property will deliver an amazing year-round experience, and the GM will drive sales, operations, service culture and real financial results. Responsibilities: provide exceptional customer service to all hotel guests, making their stay as comfortable, enjoyable and memorable as possible. Ensure that all policies, procedures, and laws with regard to personnel, security, cash handling, guest relations, and safety are followed. Achieve budgeted revenue and profit goals, balancing cost with guest satisfaction. Remain highly visible and be readily available to guests at all times. Create the most motivated, satisfied hotel staff in the industry. Requirements: a Bachelor's or Master's degree in hotel administration, business or similar. An extensive hotel/resort operations background, including at least three years as a GM or AGM experience at a similar level of hotel, and preferably involving preopening and opening. Strong prior experience in creating world class food and beverage programs: expertise in food and beverage and events/catering operations is a must. Knowledge of/experience in the Finger Lakes region of upstate NY is a plus. The ability to deal with management, associates, guest, and the general public in a courteous, tactful and patient manner. Excellent verbal and written communications and presentation skills. Strong working knowledge of a hotel P&L statement, and the proven ability to motivate team members to achieve top levels of performance. This new resort is destined to help put the Finger Lakes on the map as a year-round destination. Please contact us for more information.
- Vice President of Human Resources - new gaming resort - upstate NYA large, open and almost fully completed new casino resort in New York State is seeking a Vice President of Human Resources. The resort consists of 400+ guestrooms, golf, spa, full gaming, 9 food and beverage outlets, and expansive meeting space. The VP HR will oversee the planning, direction, and implementation of policies and activities in alignment with company goals. Major focuses will include full cycle talent acquisition and retention plans, employment/licensing services, benefits, compensation administration, HRIS, and all employee services. Responsibilities: Develop, implement and amend departmental policies and procedures to ensure that they continuously meet company objectives, as well as the highest level of service. Ensure full compliance with HR, EEOC, FMLA, ADA, and ERISA. Interact and cooperate with all appropriate labor unions. Requirements: a Bachelor's or Master's degree in hotel administration, human resources, or similar. At least 5 years of relevant quantifiable experience in human resources, with a minimum of three years at a manager or above level position in a customer-centric organization. Previous preopening/expansion experience managing an employment department in a hospitality gaming environment is much preferred, as is experience in a resort casino. Advanced knowledge and strong background in employment practices and policies. Previous experience in a union environment and a working knowledge of collective bargaining agreements. A positive, professional and forthright manner of communication, along with strong listening skills. The ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Strong organizational and leadership qualities, interpersonal skills, and a dedicated commitment to excellence. Excellent oral, written, supervisory, and Microsoft Office skills. Must be able to obtain and maintain appropriate licensing through the New York State Gaming Commission. A person of ethics who can think strategically. Working with a Cornell Hotel School graduate. Please contact us for more information.
- Director of Sales and Marketing - new gaming resort - upstate NYA large, open and almost fully completed new casino resort in New York State is seeking a Director of Sales and Marketing. The resort consists of 400+ guestrooms, golf, spa, full gaming, 9 food and beverage outlets, and expansive meeting space. The Director will be responsible for the successful sales effort for the conference, banquet and hotel facility and will create a wide-ranging approach to revenue opportunities, ADR optimization, selling strategy, and booking norms. In addition to department oversight, the DOSM will actively solicit business with a focus on convention, corporate group events, exhibitions, association and professional tour and travel markets. Responsibilities: direct the efforts of all sales department associates, to include direct sales and networking approaches for client qualification, facility exposure, proposals, booking procedures and follow up activities. Create a focused annual sales and marketing plan directed at setting and delivering sales strategies to drive revenue results. Analyze market, customer and competitive information and build sales strategy and marketing objectives to expose this new facility and destination to travel and event revenue generators. Find creative and effective ways to bring in new business within group/meetings and business transient market segments. Cultivate and source leads through industry associations, brand connections and regional tourist entities. Identify high priority sales activities to target early, based on long booking windows and high spend, then build out targeted sales action plans for all market segments. Provide oversight, training and regular review on the sales department administration and client service delivery aspects. Maintain fresh marketing and sales content for all key target markets and revenue outlets, including tourism & event planning sites, travel booking engines and social media channels. Coordinate ongoing research of the travel and event industry to detect market trends and related information for development of new marketing strategies. Make reasonable recommendations to improve potential from various markets. Develop and conduct persuasive verbal sales presentations for prospective clients. Communicate sales strategy, key initiatives and promotional programs to the associate internal audience. Translate the business plan into clear and concise strategies, developing external industry partners and building internal talent. Research trade show and sales blitz opportunities to maximize facility exposure. Represent the property and participate in the business community and hospitality industry to expose the hotel to opportunities and create a positive public image. Direct all input and report retrieval from the facility sales software system for file maintenance, correspondence and preparation of future sales and marketing budgets. Point of contact for PR, marketing and advertisement for all catering and hotel sales. Prepare consistent sales report bundles for executive leadership review. Lead and mentor the "Everybody Sells" approach with all facility associates. Requirements: a Bachelor's or Master's degree in hotel administration, business, marketing or similar. At least five years of prior full-service hotel sales experience, with hotel opening experience a plus. A strong understanding of the hospitality industry, with demonstrated knowledge in the areas of marketing, business development, revenue management, and outside and inside sales approach. Proficient at managing critical sales components: proactive and reactive activities, revenue management yield tactics, marketing campaigns and promotions, and departmental reporting procedures. An intimate knowledge of all full-service sales markets for hotel, convention, trade shows, exhibitions, and banquet events and catering. Proficiency in hotel PMS. Strong interpersonal, organizational and presentation skills required. Solid leadership experience, with the demonstrated ability to build and coach a team. A high level of integrity and ethics. The ability to analyze sales efforts and goal achievement, note deviations from the business plan, determine causes and provide recommendations to the VP Operations on needed action plans. Working with a Cornell Hotel School graduate. Please contact us for more information.
- General Manager - new lifestyle hotel - Portland, ORA successful and established hotel ownership/management company with a portfolio of more than a dozen hotels nationwide is seeking a driven, visionary leader to become the General Manager of a new 150 room independent lifestyle hotel that the company is developing in Portland, Oregon. The ideal candidate will play an active role in the completion of the project: oversee branding implementation, build and train the team, launch the hotel, and manage what will be one of the city's most visible and top performing properties. Responsibilities: the GM will maximize the financial performance of the hotel by providing the highest possible quality of guest service and product, by fostering a positive work environment for all team members, and by developing and implementing an aggressive sales and marketing plan. He/she will supervise and develop the performance of all operating divisions- Rooms, Food & Beverage, Revenue Management, Sales & Catering, and Engineering- to ensure the highest achievement of goals and guest satisfaction. Tour and inspect property daily. Monitor property condition, cleanliness, cost control, and quality of product and service throughout the hotel. Guide other members of the management and staff in making sound business decisions. Develop, implement, and monitor a comprehensive marketing plan that results in optimal rate and occupancy for the hotel. Protect and enhance the value of all hotel assets through ongoing programs in engineering and housekeeping, while simultaneously executing the capital expenditure plan. Ensure timely and accurate completion of all regular, period-end financial statements and reports, and provide controls to ensure the proper handling and accounting of all hotel receipts. Weekly forecasting and planning of operating staffing and cost expenditures to correspond to forecasted sales and costs. Review and approve all operating expenses. Actively participate as a board member of the master association, representing the hotel's majority interest. Support and maintain credit policies in the hotel: credit meetings, supervision of collection of major accounts, review of aging reports, and approval of write-offs. Confer and communicate with ownership and management company on a frequent basis. Promote the hotel in the industry and with trade associations. Requirements: a minimum of seven years of experience in hotel leadership positions, preferably in a four star/diamond, independent, boutique environment. Seven years of P&L responsibilities, and strong leadership and communications skills. An individual with an eager sense for exceptional hospitality and customer service with the ability to bring a high degree of enthusiasm to the job. Please contact us for more details.
- Financial / Asset Management Analyst - commercial real estate advisory firm - Park City, UTA small, privately held commercial real estate company specializing in the hospitality industry located in Park City, Utah is seeking a hospitality analyst. The company focuses on strategic advisory, asset sales and acquisitions, financing of hotel assets, and asset management for hospitality clients throughout the U.S. The analyst will perform a variety of underwriting tasks attributed to the real estate advisory process, including financial analyses, capitalizations, market analyses, creation of investment and offering memorandums, physical inspection reports and other due diligence tasks. The firm is taking on more asset management clients as well. This Park City-based position would be ideal for an individual that is inquisitive, creative in thought, analytical, highly organized, a self-starter and an excellent writer that enjoys challenging situations from time to time. A great opportunity for an aspiring hospitality real estate professional to grow and be mentored by a seasoned industry leader. Requirements: a Bachelor's degree in hotel administration, real estate, or finance, with one to three years of experience in hospitality or real estate, in management or financial/operational analysis. A firm understanding of hospitality and real estate principles. Strong proficiency in the construction of full-time real estate-based Excel financial models, as well as in PowerPoint and Word for the creation of high-quality investment memorandums. The ability to understand and eventually manage the due diligence process, to include the analysis of property operating statements, feasibility studies, property condition reports, appraisals, hotel statistical information, etc. Highly developed communications skills that allow one to analyze, interpret and summarize conclusions clearly and concisely both written and verbally. The ability to effectively prioritize multiple tasks, creatively interpret information, and work within a team structure under deadlines. Working with a Cornell Hotel School graduate who will be an excellent mentor. Please contact us for more details.
- Hospitality Acquisitions Associate/Senior Associate - hospitality private equity firm - Washington, DCA multi-disciplined hotel private equity firm focused on acquiring and developing premium-branded select service hotels is seeking an Acquisitions Associate or Sr. Associate. One of the fastest growing hotel real estate firms in the country, the organization currently owns and asset manages a portfolio of 16 hotels. In the past seven years, they have been involved in 32 acquisitions totaling $485 million. They specialize in developing and acquiring hotel investments, minimizing risk and maximizing performance through intensive asset management, and selling to leading institutions. The firm seeks to build its portfolio of real estate investments while diversifying a growing investor group's capital across multiple investments and brands. Investment activities are supported by the asset management division, which enables the company to provide high-level strategic and operational oversight to deliver superior value creation. Reporting to the Dir. Acquisitions and Development, the Associate will assist in the hotel acquisitions and development process. In conjunction with the team, he/she will assist with asset selection, deal negotiation, project management, pro-forma modeling, deal presentations and due diligence. The ideal candidate will be a confident, team-oriented individual with excellent Excel, presentation and writing skills who has a demonstrated interest and eagerness to join a quickly growing and fast paced company. Responsibilities: support the due diligence process for potential transactions including analyzing competitive properties, reviewing market supply/demand fundamentals, analyzing financials, sales and revenue and various other reports. Assist in the development of detailed pro-forma models to analyze potential hotel investment opportunities. Maintain an internal company acquisitions pipeline report and CRM, monitoring all potential acquisitions and communication with lenders and equity partners. Assist in updating budgets for hotel development projects and property improvement plans. Conduct market research to identify potential target markets for new hotel acquisitions. Assist in business development initiatives such as maintaining internal company business intelligence and CRM. Assist in communication and coordination of third-party consultants, including general contractors, interior designers and architects. Requirements: a Bachelor's degree in hotel administration, finance, or business. A minimum of two to five years of experience in the hospitality industry, ideally with a hotel ownership firm, hotel consulting or appraisal firm, hotel brokerage firm or investment bank. Expertise in real estate finance and an in-depth understanding of the hotel industry. Highly developed analytical and modeling skills. Advanced understanding of financial statements, with the ability to thoroughly analyze a hotel P&L. Excellent written and oral communications skills, with a detail-oriented nature. The ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks and projects and the capacity to be flexible. Working in an entrepreneurial environment for and with Cornell Hotel School graduates. Please contact us for more information.
- Senior Vice President, Hotel Operations - hotel ownership/management firm - Minneapolis, MNA hotel ownership and management company who owns 5 branded select service hotels in Minnesota/Wisconsin and with 2 more in the pipeline is seeking an SVP Operations to supervise the group's hotels as efficiently as possible. Responsibilities: hire and train qualified general managers to produce the highest volume of sales and affect the greatest profit while maintaining a high degree of public satisfaction, confidence and prestige in the service and quality of all hotels managed by the firm. Remain competitive in every area, producing and achieving budgetary goals. Follow company policies and procedures and maintain high employee morale. Oversee the supervision and operations of the hotels in order to achieve desired sales and profit goals. Interact with guests, potential guests, and community leaders. Maintain the highest ethical standards of operation and quality of services and facilities for company owned hotels. Ensure that hotel GMs achieve payroll and related budget and maintain high annual ratings on franchisor guest service indices and RevPAR within their competitive sets. Assist in developing and managing operating budgets for all hotels. Ensure that the sales efforts in all hotels are running up to par. Meet with sales managers to review sales calls and revenue achievements. Weekly review of hotel maintenance and quality standards for proper guest room, public space, and exterior cleanliness, as well as conduct random inspections. Analyze operations and meet with GMs to receive and review suggestions. Review monthly accounts receivable aging, guest complaints, brand guest satisfaction scores, and property ranking. Select, train and develop GMs, keeping them responsible for franchise and company standards and assisting them in improving their levels of performance. Oversee all programs that help improve employee morale and motivation. Direct monthly GM meetings regarding sales, forecasting, quality control, safety, etc. Prepare annual capital improvements lists and control and approve overtime, requisitions, purchase orders and all hotel expenses. Review star reports, CVB summaries and nightly occupancy comparisons. Requirements: a Bachelor's degree in hospitality or business. A minimum of 8 years of operations experience in a multi-unit, multi-location hospitality company, with a minimum of 5 years of general management experience, including a proven track record of growth and profitability. In addition to an operations background, experience in sales and marketing and/or accounting/finance is preferred. A strong knowledge of hospitality operations development theory, and methods and the ability to communicate them effectively to others within the organization. The ability to maximize the potential of the organization by introducing innovative concepts and holding teams accountable for the property-level delivery of customized, best-in-class solutions. Experience in developing and implementing appropriate systems for measuring critical aspects of operational management and development, including their impact on profit and revenue outcomes. Leadership skills, including communication, coaching, mentoring, feedback and training. A critical thinker and decision maker, with the ability to influence people in new ways of thinking- to commit and accept responsibility for actions combined with the patience to listen and respond. This executive will be an entrepreneurial and inspirational leader- someone who combines vision and urgency for the company. Please contact us for more information.
- Hotel Real Estate Advisor - hotel brokerage firm - Midwestern location of choiceA commercial real estate brokerage firm dealing exclusively with hotel transactions currently has offices in Minnesota and Nebraska. The company transacts hotels in the upper Midwest via their national database of buyers and sellers, and they are now looking for self-starters to support the geographic growth of the firm. The expectation for a candidate would be to open a new brokerage office elsewhere in the Midwest (likely working from home) that focuses on adjacent and new geographic areas that will increase the firm's coverage of the US hotel marketplace. Attributes: professional communications skills. Self-motivation and self-direction, with the ability/willingness to work remotely while being part of a larger team. The ability and desire to work on a commission based income. Travel as required for showings, meetings, etc. Sales oriented, and willing to work as an intermediary in negotiations between buyers and sellers of hotels. Detail oriented, and able to check work completed by others to ensure that it is performed properly. The skill to create win/win solutions. Requirements: a Bachelor's degree in hotel administration, business, or related field, with a minimum of four years of experience in the quantitative side of the hotel industry or related business. The ability to read and understand/interpret hotel financial statements including NOI, EBITDA, ADR, occupancy, RevPAR, etc. Possesses, or has the ability to obtain, a real estate license in the state in which he or she intends to conduct business. Knowledge of (or willingness to learn) real estate law, local/regional economies, types of available mortgages, financing options, and government regulations as they pertain to the hotel industry. Working with Cornell Hotel School alumni. Please contact us for more information.
- Hotel real estate transactions analysts/agents - San Francisco/other officesA small number of opportunities exist for hospitality transactions professionals to join one of the premier hotel advisory/brokerage groups, with 12 offices in the United States. The firm was founded in 2004 by hoteliers--owners, operators, and developers--who have a passion for the hospitality industry. The company has experienced rapid growth and been rated as one of the fastest growing private companies in the US by Inc. Magazine for the last four years consecutively. The firm provides the highest quality brokerage, consulting and overall advisory services to the industry, the most accurate and timely analysis, along with the absolute integrity that has earned it the utmost respect from its peers and its clients. The team communicates and provides its services via technology beyond which the industry has even thought about. Its founders are its leaders. They do not answer to a mega-corporation, are not a subsidiary business, and are not publicly traded. This allows them to be the premier hotel advisory company without compromise. The group publishes articles, speaks at conferences, lectures at universities, and maintains a balance between their work and personal lives. Contrary to usual practice, the organization is always team-driven, working collectively and collaboratively. The organization is looking for the top 1% of talent in its industry segment for a long-term commitment to the firm. It offers the best industry commission splits, and as part of the family, all agents that meet criteria in longevity and performance have the ability to gain ownership in the company. Principals obtain and assign listings to teams of two or three, so new agents are able to work immediately on listings and have many diverse opportunities to close transactions. Requirements: a Bachelor's degree, preferably in hotel administration, real estate, or business, or an MBA Degree with a real estate finance focus. At least 3 to 5 years of experience in the hospitality industry in a consultancy, operational or brokerage role. Beyond this, individual profiles of varying levels of seniority will be considered. Upon joining the firm, 12 modules of training are required--from valuation analysis to branding to ethics. Although anyone selected will already be a hospitality real estate professional, by the end of their first year they will be a hotel expert. Working with Cornell Hotel School graduates. Please contact us for more details.