Whether you are an individual seeking an exciting new challenge, or a company seeking top-notch talent, your interests are most assuredly kept confidential. We never present a candidate's resume without their express permission, and unless given approval by the candidate, we never contact current employers.
Please contact us at the address provided if you are a top-level, trustworthy hospitality manager or executive looking for opportunities with the finest companies in our industry worldwide. Due to our long association with the Cornell University School of Hotel Administration as a student, staff member, and volunteer, we naturally specialize in finding great opportunities for Cornell alumni and graduates of the other finest international colleges of hospitality management.
Here are all the current opportunities available through Philippus Miller III & Associates:
- Vice President of Asset Management and Acquisitions - hotel investment firm - Los Angeles, CAA relatively young and growing privately held Los Angeles based investment firm that specializes in hotel real estate investment and management is actively seeking a proven Asset Management and Acquisitions executive. This new position will be a key partner to the firm's principal/properties' owners and an integral part of the decisionmaking team. He/she will be responsible for the asset management strategy of their small existing portfolio of full service hotel assets, and will be central to in the acquisition and development of new acquisitions, existing, ground-up, and mixed-use. Since the team is small, the candidate must be self-motivated, who works well both independently and in a small group setting. Working in close partnership with the company's design team, overseeing current projects as well as planning new ones, and working hands on in site research and development, from acquisition through close out of new properties. Responsibilities: revenue and expense management, benchmarking and forecasting. Daily and monthly review of financials, performance, cash flow forecasts and capital planning for assets. Preparation of quarterly reports and annual business plans for key stakeholders. Oversight and development of annual operating and capital budgets. Capital investment decisions, physical upkeep and compliance, asset improvement oversight and budgeting. Reduction of costs, unlocking the value and optimizing the efficiency of the property. Strategic planning and analysis to identify opportunities to maximize income, profits, and asset value. Creation and tracking of business performance metrics. Risk management, compliance and governance. Requirements: a Bachelor's or Master's degree in hotel administration, real estate, finance, or similar. At least five, but preferably more, years of relevant experience in hotel operations, portfolio management or real estate finance. Prior experience in budgeting/estimating, working with design/construction teams and with project administration. The ability to read and analyze financial statements and operational reports, and to review and suggest improvements to finance and accounting processes. An understanding of franchise and loan agreements. The critical thinking skills and strategic abilities necessary to optimize a portfolio of assets. Experience working with design and construction teams. Exceptional analytics and modeling skills; advanced Excel skills are mandatory. This is a unique owner's side opportunity to join a hardworking and dynamic team with tremendous long-term upside potential. Some travel is required. Working with a Cornell Hotel School graduate. Please contact us for more information.
- Director of Asset Management - hospitality private equity firm - Washington, DCA multi-disciplined hotel private equity firm focused on acquiring and developing premium-branded select service hotels is seeking a Director of Asset Management. One of the fastest growing hotel real estate firms in the country, the organization currently owns and asset manages a portfolio of 16 hotels. In the past seven years, they have been involved in 32 acquisitions totaling $485 million. They specialize in developing and acquiring hotel investments, minimizing risk and maximizing performance through intensive asset management, and selling to leading institutions. The firm seeks to build its portfolio of real estate investments while diversifying a growing investor group's capital across multiple investments and brands. Investment activities are supported by the asset management division, which enables the company to provide high-level strategic and operational oversight to deliver superior value creation. Responsibilities: reporting to the VP of Asset Management, the Director will focus on a wide range of asset management and reporting duties. He/she will be involved in the entire asset cycle, from acquisition through a property's ongoing asset management and disposition. The Director will also be involved in ROI investments, acquisition/development projects, and debt financing. The company team is small and collaborative, with cross-discipline exposure. The Director will be lead asset manager for 3-5 properties and support the VP for the rest of the portfolio. Will be responsible for strategic planning and execution, including hold/sell analysis, as well as financial and investment analysis-monthly and quarterly review/analysis (P&L, STAR reports, segmentation, booking pace, labor productivity). He/she will drive asset performance by working closely with hotel management in a proactive manner, developing hotel revenue management strategies and cost containment programs to ensure preservation/growth of market share and NOI. Manage and leverage business intelligence platform (includes streamlining comp data) to drive KPI benchmarking and best practices. Also responsible for investor relations and reporting, budget planning and review, capital planning, including project tracking to ensure execution on budget and on time. Ensure compliance with management, franchise and loan agreements. Supplement acquisitions team underwriting with market analysis and help identify opportunities in market share, revenue and expense. Requirements: a Bachelor's or Master's degree in hotel administration, business, real estate or similar. A minimum of 4 years of experience in hotel analytics, preferably in asset management or hotel consulting and feasibility. Will also consider candidates with experience in hotel finance, e.g. a Director of Finance with a strong grasp of market positioning and share. A solid foundation in market penetration, repositioning/ROI analysis, segmentation strategy and channel management, expense control and benchmarking, value add initiatives, and budget analysis. Experience in capital planning/management. Strong analytical and Excel modelling skills, with a solid understanding of Cognos TM1. A passion for achieving extraordinary results: a verifiable track record of achieving results, exceeding goals, increasing revenue, RevPAR penetration and margins with a systematized approach to operations. Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to engage management companies and others in creative discussions of solutions and ideas, to achieve a common goal and build rapport and influence. A reputation as a thorough, detail-oriented self-starter, who can work with multiple demands and changing priorities and without constant feedback. A problem solver who foresees and identifies issues, gathers facts, weighs alternatives and proposes solutions in an innovative and resourceful manner. A sense of urgency, a strong work ethic, and the ability to excel in a fast-paced, non-bureaucratic, small company, entrepreneurial organization. An intelligent quick learner, with good listening skills and the desire to ask questions and learn from mistakes. Recognition as a person of the highest integrity and ethical grounding. Working for and with Cornell Hotel School alumni. Please contact us for more information.
- Hospitality Acquisitions Associate/Senior Associate - hospitality private equity firm - Washington, DCA multi-disciplined hotel private equity firm focused on acquiring and developing premium-branded select service hotels is seeking an Acquisitions Associate or Sr. Associate. One of the fastest growing hotel real estate firms in the country, the organization currently owns and asset manages a portfolio of 16 hotels. In the past seven years, they have been involved in 32 acquisitions totaling $485 million. They specialize in developing and acquiring hotel investments, minimizing risk and maximizing performance through intensive asset management, and selling to leading institutions. The firm seeks to build its portfolio of real estate investments while diversifying a growing investor group's capital across multiple investments and brands. Investment activities are supported by the asset management division, which enables the company to provide high-level strategic and operational oversight to deliver superior value creation. Reporting to the Dir. Acquisitions and Development, the Associate will assist in the hotel acquisitions and development process. In conjunction with the team, he/she will assist with asset selection, deal negotiation, project management, pro-forma modeling, deal presentations and due diligence. The ideal candidate will be a confident, team-oriented individual with excellent Excel, presentation and writing skills who has a demonstrated interest and eagerness to join a quickly growing and fast paced company. Responsibilities: support the due diligence process for potential transactions including analyzing competitive properties, reviewing market supply/demand fundamentals, analyzing financials, sales and revenue and various other reports. Assist in the development of detailed pro-forma models to analyze potential hotel investment opportunities. Maintain an internal company acquisitions pipeline report and CRM, monitoring all potential acquisitions and communication with lenders and equity partners. Assist in updating budgets for hotel development projects and property improvement plans. Conduct market research to identify potential target markets for new hotel acquisitions. Assist in business development initiatives such as maintaining internal company business intelligence and CRM. Assist in communication and coordination of third-party consultants, including general contractors, interior designers and architects. Requirements: a Bachelor's degree in hotel administration, finance, or business. A minimum of two to five years of experience in the hospitality industry, ideally with a hotel ownership firm, hotel consulting or appraisal firm, hotel brokerage firm or investment bank. Expertise in real estate finance and an in-depth understanding of the hotel industry. Highly developed analytical and modeling skills. Advanced understanding of financial statements, with the ability to thoroughly analyze a hotel P&L. Excellent written and oral communications skills, with a detail-oriented nature. The ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks and projects and the capacity to be flexible. Working in an entrepreneurial environment for and with Cornell Hotel School graduates. Please contact us for more information.
- Senior Analyst - hotel investment firm - New York, NYA boutique real estate investment firm that provides various forms of financing to the hotel industry has an immediate opening for a Senior Analyst with 1 to 3 years of hospitality analytics experience. The company focuses on making debt investments on hotel and resort properties in major US, Canadian, and Caribbean markets, as well as asset managing some hotel properties. The Senior Analyst will participate in hotel investment analysis and asset management duties. Since the team is small, the candidate will have direct interaction with senior management and will be an integral component in the full investment process. Responsibilities: underwrite prospective investments, including debt originations, debt purchases and equity acquisitions; creating value-add scenarios and ROI analyses. Participate in the creation and monitoring of action plans to achieve strategic initiatives, review capital plans, and assist in the creation of monthly reports to ownership for asset managed properties. Gather market data through research, interviews, site inspections and fieldwork. Analyze performance trends and monitor real estate market developments. Conduct supply and demand analyses. Assist in the preparation and presentation of investment memorandums and deal summaries. Support the team in the negotiation and closing of real estate investments. Interaction with and exposure to key investors, lending partners, third-party service providers and on-property management. Requirements: a Bachelor's degree in hotel administration, business, or similar. A minimum of one full year of post-undergraduate employment in hospitality real estate finance, appraisal, brokerage or consulting. Superior Excel skills, with a high degree of speed and comfort in creating hotel P&L projections, DCF valuations, return analyses, debt valuations, and custom models for atypical investment opportunities. Excellent writing skills, including the ability to clearly explain complex information. Familiarity with hotel finance, marketing, revenue maximization, strategic planning, budgeting, forecasting, administration, and operations. Highly developed analytical skills. Organized and task oriented, with a track record of meeting deadlines and delivering on goals. Mature and aggressive, with demonstrated ability to establish credibility. Resourceful, with the ability to find or develop answers to questions starting with incomplete information and/or limited direction. Exemplify the highest standards of honesty, integrity and discretion. The individual should be entrepreneurial in spirit, highly confident of their abilities and willing to take on increasingly senior responsibilities. Compensation will be commensurate with experience, including a base salary, performance-based bonus and benefits. Working for and with Cornell Hotel School graduates. Please contact us for more details.
- Senior Vice President of Acquisitions - lifestyle hotel brand - San Francisco, CAA brand of lifestyle hotels that is changing the way people experience the great outdoors is seeking a Senior Vice President of Acquisitions to join the organization and help lead the company in achieving its aggressive growth objectives to expand into major markets in North America, as well as key strategic markets internationally. The company provides an upscale, hassle-free experience in the spirit of camping in the world's leading outdoor destinations. It is poised for rapid expansion, with capital commitments in excess of $200M over the next 2-3 years. Reporting to the CFO, the SVP Acquisitions will be a key member of the senior leadership team, building the real estate portfolio and helping to shape the firm's expansion strategy. He/she will identify and acquire real estate suitable for development, repositioning, and conversion, as well as building out the deal sourcing and due diligence team. Responsibilities: source deal opportunities that align with the brand's growth and objectives. Build, develop, and manage a team of professionals to source and negotiate deals. Oversee financial and feasibility analysis, diligence, and presentation of investments to the investment committee. Manage ownership structure and operating agreement negotiations, and lead all due diligence efforts and closing of real estate transactions. Develop relationships with developers and potential joint venture partners to source and develop suitable properties. Oversee the due diligence, entitlement, and feasibility analysis process for all potential acquisition opportunities. Cultivate relationships with park and campground officials at local, state and federal, governmental organizations. Prepare and submit RFPs for concession/management opportunities at city, county, state, and national parks and forests. Build the team of acquisitions professionals to uncover opportunities at strategic locations, both domestically and abroad. Perform analytical studies to demonstrate the feasibility of the business plan for new acquisitions, analyzing the impact of the company's entry and/or expansion into key markets. Pursue opportunities for the acquisition and negotiation of management contracts. Work closely with the CFO and CEO to understand the company's strategic goals and how they translate to the acquisition of new properties. Requirements: a Bachelor's degree in hotel administration, finance or business. An MBA or Master's in Hospitality is desirable. A thorough understanding of finance and operations are essential, and a concentration in hospitality is much preferred. A minimum ten years of experience in real estate finance, including, specifically, commercial real estate acquisitions and negotiations. A minimum of three years of hospitality-specific acquisitions experience. A background in identifying and qualifying leads to close real estate acquisition and management contract deals. A deep understanding of all parts of the deal process for a variety of transaction types, including fee simple acquisitions, ground leases, management contracts, joint ventures, etc. Strong networking skills, and an established, excellent reputation among industry peers and colleagues. Comfortable and confident leveraging existing relationships and forging new ones to source off-market deal opportunities. Strong oral and written presentation skills. Highly analytical and strong Excel modeling skills. The ability to travel, primarily domestically, up to 50% of the time. Character: it is essential that this individual operates at a strategic level, can work independently and cohesively to lead a team, and positively represents the company both internally and externally. The successful candidate will be visible at industry conferences, present well to partners, work closely with the senior management team across functions, and be instrumental in participating in this rapidly growing business. Please contact us for more details.
- Senior Vice President, Hotel Operations - hotel ownership/management firm - Minneapolis, MNA hotel ownership and management company who owns 5 branded select service hotels in Minnesota/Wisconsin and with 2 more in the pipeline is seeking an SVP Operations to supervise the group's hotels as efficiently as possible. Responsibilities: hire and train qualified general managers to produce the highest volume of sales and affect the greatest profit while maintaining a high degree of public satisfaction, confidence and prestige in the service and quality of all hotels managed by the firm. Remain competitive in every area, producing and achieving budgetary goals. Follow company policies and procedures and maintain high employee morale. Oversee the supervision and operations of the hotels in order to achieve desired sales and profit goals. Interact with guests, potential guests, and community leaders. Maintain the highest ethical standards of operation and quality of services and facilities for company owned hotels. Ensure that hotel GMs achieve payroll and related budget and maintain high annual ratings on franchisor guest service indices and RevPAR within their competitive sets. Assist in developing and managing operating budgets for all hotels. Ensure that the sales efforts in all hotels are running up to par. Meet with sales managers to review sales calls and revenue achievements. Weekly review of hotel maintenance and quality standards for proper guest room, public space, and exterior cleanliness, as well as conduct random inspections. Analyze operations and meet with GMs to receive and review suggestions. Review monthly accounts receivable aging, guest complaints, brand guest satisfaction scores, and property ranking. Select, train and develop GMs, keeping them responsible for franchise and company standards and assisting them in improving their levels of performance. Oversee all programs that help improve employee morale and motivation. Direct monthly GM meetings regarding sales, forecasting, quality control, safety, etc. Prepare annual capital improvements lists and control and approve overtime, requisitions, purchase orders and all hotel expenses. Review star reports, CVB summaries and nightly occupancy comparisons. Requirements: a Bachelor's degree in hospitality or business. A minimum of 8 years of operations experience in a multi-unit, multi-location hospitality company, with a minimum of 5 years of general management experience, including a proven track record of growth and profitability. In addition to an operations background, experience in sales and marketing and/or accounting/finance is preferred. A strong knowledge of hospitality operations development theory, and methods and the ability to communicate them effectively to others within the organization. The ability to maximize the potential of the organization by introducing innovative concepts and holding teams accountable for the property-level delivery of customized, best-in-class solutions. Experience in developing and implementing appropriate systems for measuring critical aspects of operational management and development, including their impact on profit and revenue outcomes. Leadership skills, including communication, coaching, mentoring, feedback and training. A critical thinker and decision maker, with the ability to influence people in new ways of thinking- to commit and accept responsibility for actions combined with the patience to listen and respond. This executive will be an entrepreneurial and inspirational leader- someone who combines vision and urgency for the company. Please contact us for more information.
- Hotel Real Estate Advisor - hotel brokerage firm - Midwestern location of choiceA commercial real estate brokerage firm dealing exclusively with hotel transactions currently has offices in Minnesota and Nebraska. The company transacts hotels in the upper Midwest via their national database of buyers and sellers, and they are now looking for self-starters to support the geographic growth of the firm. The expectation for a candidate would be to open a new brokerage office elsewhere in the Midwest (likely working from home) that focuses on adjacent and new geographic areas that will increase the firm's coverage of the US hotel marketplace. Attributes: professional communications skills. Self-motivation and self-direction, with the ability/willingness to work remotely while being part of a larger team. The ability and desire to work on a commission based income. Travel as required for showings, meetings, etc. Sales oriented, and willing to work as an intermediary in negotiations between buyers and sellers of hotels. Detail oriented, and able to check work completed by others to ensure that it is performed properly. The skill to create win/win solutions. Requirements: a Bachelor's degree in hotel administration, business, or related field, with a minimum of four years of experience in the quantitative side of the hotel industry or related business. The ability to read and understand/interpret hotel financial statements including NOI, EBITDA, ADR, occupancy, RevPAR, etc. Possesses, or has the ability to obtain, a real estate license in the state in which he or she intends to conduct business. Knowledge of (or willingness to learn) real estate law, local/regional economies, types of available mortgages, financing options, and government regulations as they pertain to the hotel industry. Working with Cornell Hotel School alumni. Please contact us for more information.
- Hotel real estate transactions analysts/agents - San Francisco/other officesA small number of opportunities exist for hospitality transactions professionals to join one of the premier hotel advisory/brokerage groups, with 12 offices in the United States. The firm was founded in 2004 by hoteliers--owners, operators, and developers--who have a passion for the hospitality industry. The company has experienced rapid growth and been rated as one of the fastest growing private companies in the US by Inc. Magazine for the last four years consecutively. The firm provides the highest quality brokerage, consulting and overall advisory services to the industry, the most accurate and timely analysis, along with the absolute integrity that has earned it the utmost respect from its peers and its clients. The team communicates and provides its services via technology beyond which the industry has even thought about. Its founders are its leaders. They do not answer to a mega-corporation, are not a subsidiary business, and are not publicly traded. This allows them to be the premier hotel advisory company without compromise. The group publishes articles, speaks at conferences, lectures at universities, and maintains a balance between their work and personal lives. Contrary to usual practice, the organization is always team-driven, working collectively and collaboratively. The organization is looking for the top 1% of talent in its industry segment for a long-term commitment to the firm. It offers the best industry commission splits, and as part of the family, all agents that meet criteria in longevity and performance have the ability to gain ownership in the company. Principals obtain and assign listings to teams of two or three, so new agents are able to work immediately on listings and have many diverse opportunities to close transactions. Requirements: a Bachelor's degree, preferably in hotel administration, real estate, or business, or an MBA Degree with a real estate finance focus. At least 3 to 5 years of experience in the hospitality industry in a consultancy, operational or brokerage role. Beyond this, individual profiles of varying levels of seniority will be considered. Upon joining the firm, 12 modules of training are required--from valuation analysis to branding to ethics. Although anyone selected will already be a hospitality real estate professional, by the end of their first year they will be a hotel expert. Working with Cornell Hotel School graduates. Please contact us for more details.